Not everyone has great time management skills. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to run and grow a successful business. Without exceptional time management skills, business owners would be running from one fire to the next – with everything being a priority. If you notice that your business isn’t growing as fast as you would like it to, it may be time to think about how you manage your time.
Tips to Improving Your Time Management
- Record your thoughts, actions, and conversations. This will help you understand what activities produce the results you want, and which are just a waste of your time.
- Give time to your success. Creating time blocks for activities that are important for your success will help you to achieve it faster.
- Spend time on your success. You should plan to spend at least 50% of your time on the activities that you know drive the results you want.
- Schedule interruptions. Face it, they happen. When you schedule them into your day, they become more manageable.
- Plan your day. Take 30 minutes before your day starts to plan out your day. Make an agenda designed to keep track of what time you’re going to spend on an activity.
- Reflect before/after activities. Take five minutes before an activity to plan what success you want to come from it, and five minutes to determine if that success was met afterwards.
- Signage helps. Don’t be afraid to use “Do Not Disturb” signs for when you absolutely need to focus on activities that drive success.
- Practice, practice, practice. Practice not answering the phone or emails unless it’s absolutely critical to your business. Not everything is a fire.
- Block distractions. Turn off anything that doesn’t directly contribute to the results you’re trying to achieve.
- 20/80 rule. Remember, 20% of your activities, thoughts, and conversations yield 80% of the results. Make your 20% count!
Now, Grow Your Business
When you can effectively tune out distractions and unproductive activities, you’ll start to notice you have more time to devote on the activities that drive your success. Troinet is no stranger to helping businesses learn to manage their time effectively in order to be able to grow their business. We can implement technology to help you improve your time management skills such as spam filters, firewalls, unified communications, and process automation plans. There is no reason why you should be letting unproductive activities suck your time away from growing your business. Cut the ties by letting us help.